[DT-F] Design Team F kickoff

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Thu Apr 9 02:43:36 UTC 2015

Alan,

> I was certainly not looking for pre-ICANN or even very early ICANN history.
> There are plenty of stories about that time.

That's putting it mildly. The perhaps surprising part is that the
ramifications of that early history still have an impact on IANA Function
operations.

> If I can summarize:
> - there are relatively few "recent" occurrences where some parties have deemed
> policy to be violated;
> - where they have occurred, others have felt that the policy may have been
> interpreted differently that the objector did, but it was not likely a clear
> violation of policy;

In my opinion, yes.

> - The NTIA backstop had no impact on reducing such possible problems.

I probably wouldn't say "no impact" as I suspect the fact that NTIA was "in
the loop" probably had some implications, perhaps if only because people
misunderstood NTIA's actual role and as a result, didn't make attempts they
otherwise would have.

However, I would say that the exercising of the Root Zone Administrator by
NTIA did not result in the rejection of a change request for policy (or
other) reasons.

> Regarding your last paragraph, many moons ago at the CWG meeting in Frankfurt,
> I suggested that along with an appeal process, we might need something
> equivalent to a injunction to prevent IANA from implementing a proposed change
> pending appeal. Perhaps it is time to revive that proposal.

If I understand correctly, the implication of this would be that change
requests would need to be made public before implementation and there would
some period of time in which potential objectors could file the injunction.
Not suggesting I support or don't support this idea, just making the
observations to be sure I understand what you're suggesting.

Regards,
-drc

P.S. No, I do not get paid by the word, just trying to be clearŠ (:))