[DT-F] REVISED: Design Team F kickoff

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Apr 12 23:39:58 UTC 2015

At 12/04/2015 07:06 PM, Suzanne Woolf wrote:
>Alan,
>
>On Apr 12, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I have had a number of personal functions this weekend
> which have keep me away from e-mail.
> >
> > What we WILL accomplish by Thursday clearly remains to be seen.
> What we were charged with accomplishing was to recommend changes to
> the Root Zone management process as needed or desired for the
> transition to take place.
> >
> > Currently the NTIA must approve all changes before they are
> released to be RZ Maintainer (Verisign) for implementation.
> >
> > Since the NTIA will now be "out of the loop", we need to recommend:
> >
> > - How the authorization function is to be replaces, if at all
>
>Like Milton, I thought we'd been told it's not to be replaced.

Yes, you are correct. I guess I was being overlay cautious in case we
discover something to cause that to be changed.

> > - What other changes do we recommend, if any, to compensate for
> the removal of the NTIA authorization
>
>See my previous message-- I suggest we need to call out operational
>impacts of NTIA's stepping aside more generally. Non-operational
>aspects, i.e. the accountability enforced by having the contract in
>the first place, are out of scope for us; but I tried to suggest a
>couple of other factors we should look at, which may be outside the
>day-to-day operation (the authorization function) but are still
>relevant to IANA staff being able to do their jobs promptly and correctly.
>
> > - What other improvements do we recommend making to address
> perceived weaknesses in the present process (despite the NTIA presence).
>
>I'm not sure I follow. I seem to recall that we've been told a
>number of times now that people are happy with IANA's performance of
>its tasks. Encoding the current service expectations outside of the
>NTIA contract, so that they can continue to be met when the NTIA
>contract is gone, is the work of the SLE group, isn't it?
>
>If that's incorrect-- could you clarify what "perceived weaknesses"
>we need to address?
>
>If it's roughly correct-- it seems to me that our role is largely a
>gap analysis: what dependencies on the NTIA contract for the root
>zone management function are *not* addressed by other design teams
>or the CCWG-Accountability? And what requirements are imposed on the
>other design teams or the CCWG-Accountability?
>
>(I come to this task with a very operational orientation, so I
>assume that there's a specific set of tasks that IANA and the RZM
>partners need to perform, with or without the NTIA, in order to
>carry out their responsibility for a correct, up-to-date production
>root zone; and that we're making sure both that IANA and RZM staff
>can adjust their procedures so they still know what they're supposed
>to do in the absence of the NTIA contract, and that those
>responsible for oversight post-NTIA also understand their
>responsibility in detail, and can carry it out.)

Earlier messages had identified "weaknesses" related to checks and
balances implemented largely by contractual terms. For instance, the
RZ Maintainer *could* implement and publish changes different from
those supplied by IANA. It has rarely happened (only one case that I
have seen documented) but the potential is there. I am not taking
thhe posiiton that we must address them in this group or even later,
but they have been mentioned.