[CWG-RFP3] Coordination of Subgroup 3

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Nov 3 18:43:05 UTC 2014

Greg,
Thanks for your initial work.

I find the draft objectives in their proposed form needlessly complex. To my mind there are only two basic objectives, and they can be stated simply:

1.      That the functions currently provided for in the NTIA/IANA contract continue to be performed in a secure, efficient, and stable manner.

2.      That there be an effective replacement for the accountability formerly provided by the NTIA contracting process and US government oversight.

It would be a mistake moreover to get bogged down in discussing objectives rather than doing our work, which is to prepare a consensus response to the ICG RFP.

I think the list of variables might be used as a checklist to review specific proposals, but this exercise has its limits. The number of “Variables” is potentially infinite and you will never capture them all. You have to have specific proposals and the idea that a final, acceptable proposal will jump out at us from gigantic piles of variables is not realistic.

The pros and cons table is more useful, because it presumes specific structural options. However, again I find the format somewhat prejudicial, in that factors that are absolutely critical, such as accountability or its absence, have not been listed or given their proper weight in relation to other things. Also some of the cons are a bit prejudicial, such as the claim that registries may not be willing to fund a names IANA when in fact they are already funding it, just implicitly and non-transparently.