[CWG-RFP3] Coordination of Subgroup 3

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Nov 4 05:41:37 UTC 2014

You may be falling prey to a common misconception – the idea that NTIA authority over RZF actually ensured the technical accuracy of RZ file changes. It didn’t. The Commerce Department staff member who reviewed the changes was not a DNS expert. NTIA was there to make sure that the RZF changes were _authorized_ and it did that primarily to ensure antitrust immunity to Verisign. Ergo, I don’t think you need a “final check” of any and every RZ change, so much as you need serious recourse if someone makes an unauthorized change. I think we can trust the registries to tell us if the changes are inaccurate.

From: Greg Shatan [mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com]

I might also add replacing the RZM final check that NTIA provided.