[CWG-RFP3] Is there is a more suitable legal jurisdiction for an IANA subsidiary?

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Tue Nov 4 21:07:44 UTC 2014

We should be precise about the language we use here.

Generally, a formal “international organization” is something like the Red Cross/Red Crescent, which enjoys legal immunity from the country in which it is incorporated.  That legal immunity, IMHO, eliminates meaningful accountability for the organization’s actions and is not appropriate here.

In all other cases, applicable law is going to be determined by a combination of factors, including the country of incorporation, the country of contracting parties, contractual provisions about choice of law, etc.  Right now ICANN contracts all state that California law governs.  That is not unusual at all.  ICANN could agree that some contracts are subject to California law, and some contracts are subject, for example, to Swiss law.  What it won’t want to say – and I think this is reasonable – is that the choice of law turns entirely on the other contracting party (e.g., German law applies to agreements with .Berlin; New York law applies to agreements with .NYC; Ontario law applies to contracts with .ECO, and Vatican law applies to agreements with the Pontifical Council, etc., etc.)

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
Office: + 1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  / becky.burr at neustar.biz<mailto:becky.burr at neustar.biz> / www.neustar.biz