[CWG-RFP3] Policy authority

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:29:33 UTC 2014

I do not understand the hard distinction that you make between "policy
source" and "policy authority". If NTIA were to change the "policy source"
from ICANN PDD to IWONT PDP in C.2.9.2.d, will it not render the ICANN PDP
pointless and the IWONT PDP authoritative? Effectively does that not change
the Policy Authority from ICANN to IWONT?

Isn't that also the reason why the 500 page ICANN response to the NTIA RFP,
which is incorporated into the IANA Functions Contract by reference,
outlines in detail the PDP that ICANN intends to follow?

In any case, if the CWG chooses to develop a proposal in which it grants
the ICANN PDP perpetual authority as the policy source, *then it should be
clearly stated in the proposal*. This is so that this issue does not escape
the global community's notice when it is put up for comments; and so that
the global community can comment in favour of it or against it in an
informed manner.

If the CWG chooses to allow the Oversight Body to change the Policy
Authority by way of amending the said clause, then the implications of it,
in terms of transition of the policy authority, conflict of interest etc
need to be discussed in further detail and outlined in the proposal.