[CWG-RFP3] Policy authority

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Wed Nov 19 00:56:58 UTC 2014

The IANA Functions contract between the DOC and ICANN is going away.
ICANN has two work streams as a result:

1) The IANA Functions transition track to decide what needs to be put in
place to ensure that the IANA functions continue to be performed in a
responsible manner.  I have attached the SOW for the IANA Functions
Contract.  These functions - as the contact states explicitly - are
OPERATIONAL and NOT POLICY.  In fact, the SOW states (in C.1.1
Separation of Policy Development and Operational Roles) that the
"Contractor shall ensure that designated IANA functions staff members will
not initiate, advance,or advocate any policy development related to the
IANA functions.²

2) The Accountability track to decide what needs to be put in place as a
substitute for the general ³stewardship² authority that the DOC retained
as a result of the IANA Functions Contract. That is just a fancy way of
saying that the power to take away the IANA functions contract gave the
DOC some ability to influence ICANN work beyond the IANA functions.
Issues related to the ³Policy² authority, IMHO, belongs in this track.

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
Office: + 1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  /
becky.burr at neustar.biz / www.neustar.biz