[CWG-RFP3] Policy authority

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 02:37:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Malcolm Hutty <malcolm at linx.net> wrote:

> and I believe that
>> as we lose the ultimate protection of the NTIA, the community needs to
> put in place the necessary measures to avoid such unhappy consequences

​All in all, well said, sah! I had imposed on me the role of lurker on this
list. But I thought I would extract and emphasize that snippet.

If memory serves, one fella at the London long table discussion where I
represented the ALAC connected the NTIA to the role of protector against
all enemies, 'foreign and domestic'; I'm paraphrasing here since he spoke
it first but from my intuit, this is the unspoken codicil to the contract.

I cannot recall any discernible traction then.  But I'm yet amazed - yes,
amazed - that in all the hand wringing, it is barely recognized that in
current dispensation, it is the United States Government, our Uncle Sam,
that is, of fact, the ultimate protector​ against the powers, foreign and
domestic, ICANN included.

What we have here is talk about replacing the tap root.  One need not be a
fantacist to acknowledge this.

-Carlton
Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799