[CWG-RFP3] Separability

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Nov 24 06:17:52 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the response and the correction on the timing.

So the current scheme is

- Weak separability after 3 years and again after another 2 (No RFP
needed, contract renewed unless there are severe issues that cannot be
resolved)
- Strong separability after 3+2+2 (RFP required)

I believe that we need this sort of hybrid approach to continue.

I also think the open comment process the NTIA went through before the 7
year RFP should be replicated by any solution we come up with.

I.e every 7 years we go though the entire RFP process, complexity and
expenses not withstanding.

While I know the Frankfurt discussion did not get to this level, I think
anything less is an unacceptable solution and I believe that I am
expressing a view that is representative of the community I have been
selected as a member by (have bcc'ed the NCSG IANA group
<ncsg-iana at ipjustice.org>  on this as confirmation).  While we have not
settled on any particular details of a regular RFP and Separability or
the length of periods, we are quite convinced that both are required.

Thanks

avri