[CWG-RFP3] Separability was Re: [] Revised Survey

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jan 7 18:00:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

I agree with Greg on this.  That, and perhaps coverage of any other
intractable IANA compliance issues.

Analogous to the situation that the IETF had a number of years ago,
before the advent of David Conrad,  where a great number of the IETF
partiicpants were upset with performance issues that got discussed at
every plenary.

So for me this is about the IANA function and its proper governance
modalities.

The confusion we have with leverage on ICANN is different.

a. For many, this transition is an opportunity, perhaps a last
opportunity, to use the question of 'to transition or not to transition'
as leverage to try an obtain some further accountability and
accountability guarantees from the ICANN powers that be.

b. For some, the continued existence of a re-assignable contract remains
a Sword of Damocles type of incentive for accountability, but is not an
accountability mechanisms itself.

c. And perhaps for some, though I am not sure, it is a continuing
accountability measure that can be pulled out anytime it is wanted.

BTW, (c) is my reason for prefereing a reglar review and RFP over an
nuclear option RFP mechanism.  If the only way for consideration of the
contract is a nuclear option, someone is bound to precipitate a crisis
sooner of later for just that purpose - or at least take it to the brink
- as is the case with so many nuclear options.  A regular orderly
process-intense review and possible RFP* is not as prone to this form of
brinkmanship.

avri

* in some of the proposals not all reviews necessarily precipitate RFP -
much as is the case now with NTIA.