[CWG-RFP3] On Directors requirements Re: Revised Survey

Steve Crocker steve.crocker at icann.org
Wed Jan 7 23:33:50 UTC 2015

Bertrand,

Thanks for your note.  The point I was responding to was the converse of the point you’re making.  Yes, indeed, Directors should be able to speak their mind.  The wording in the point I was responding to, "1. If it is the formal position of an ICANN SO or AC. If so, this should be given greater weight and considered heavily because it is the position of an arm of ICANN and so should also represent the view of the relevant Board member(s),” instructs Directors to be in synchrony with the SO or AC that appointed him.  This puts the Director in the inappropriate position of having to represent his constituency and thus interferes with his independence.

Steve