[CWG-Stewardship] [IANA-issues] Fwd: Names Community vs the other two communities

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 16:34:23 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Kieren McCarthy <kieren at kierenmccarthy.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> <snip> the explanation is quite on point
>

> Since this transition period is the one opportunity that the customers of
> IANA have to build a system that will serve them better in future, it is
> worth thinking about how to shift the culture.

Maybe we should not think of how to change the culture (as that may be
beyond scope) but we should think of what we will include in the
MOU/Contract or whatever mechanism that finally suffice. That will ensure
that the community's contribution is noted to improve IANA improve
operation.

> The day-to-day of an Oversight Committee would likely be checking policies
> are being followed. But there also needs to be a mechanism/culture that
> encourages IANA to continuously improve based not on its or ICANN's agenda
> but on what its customers want.

+1 and i presume most part of that can also be achieved by policy.

> The committee would need a stick and a carrot. ICANN /IANA would have to
> be obliged to make improvements (like clauses in a new contract) but the
> emphasis should be on how to reward improvements so the stick is not needed.

I agree but 'stick' needs to be clearly defined within the MOU/Mechanism.
Remembering there is a stick is usually a good approach to ensure
compliance.

> IANA is not a stationary function and I think it would be smart to
> recognise that. I am concerned that because we have a lot of policy people
> and process people here but not many business folk that this group may draw
> up wonderful new structures that just add more process rather than focus on
> making the IANA functions a very efficient machine with happy customers.
>
> Philosophical and conceptual issues aside, the bulk of IANA's Names work
> always be making changes and/or additions in response to existing
> customers' requests.

Correct and usually what may cause more of the delay in getting the records
updated could be the intermediate processes which the community should look
into as i don't think that will be within the scope of this cwg. However as
you have said earlier, we need to include the necessary clauses/mechanism
that enables the community's consensus based suggestions to be recognised
by the IANA operator.

Thanks

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng