[CWG-Stewardship] Draft of Principles

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 02:10:17 UTC 2014

Avri,

While I wholeheartedly agree that separability is required (either as a
solution or principle), I believe that the following caveat needs to be
noted.

By arguing for separability of IANA from ICANN, you may be unknowingly
arguing that the organisational structures for the names community should
perpetually reside in ICANN.

I could instead argue for separability of the names community from ICANN
(with IANA non-separable and perpetually residing in ICANN) and still
achieve the same end objective as yours.

Ideally, the principles should somehow require the separability of both the
IANA functions and the names community from ICANN.

NTIA, using the IANA functions contract (and specifically the response of
ICANN to NTIA's RFP that is incorporated into the contract by reference),
could have ensured transfer of the names community from ICANN as well.

The framing of the debate has somehow limited our thinking to only
separability/transferrability of the IANA functions - forcing us to not
even contemplate that even the names community may want to shift its
organisational structures away from ICANN.

Regards,
Guru
 Hi,

While actual separation and the means of implementing that separation may
be solutions, I am strongly of the opinion that the potential to separate
MUST be a principle any solution is built on.  It may never be exercised,
but it would be unacceptable for there to be a solution that prohibited or
did not otherwise allow any possible future separation of the function from
ICANN.

This is one of several principles I feel I must personally argue for
persistently, and without which any solution would be unsatisfactory.

avri