[CWG-Stewardship] Draft of Principles

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Nov 13 16:54:51 UTC 2014

Dear Stacy,

thanks for this. I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't "redress" also involve
"compensation or satisfaction for a wrong or injury"?
Could the use of the word "redress" open the door to financial
compensation in case of a fault by the IANA operator?

May I suggest "remedy", or is this a legally charged word too?

Kind regards,

Olivier

On 11/11/2014 23:33, King(Legal), Stacey wrote:

> All
>

> I would like to add an addition to Stephanie’s changes to the
> Principles document.  In connection with the section on appeal, I
> would change it as follows (in red):
>

>                     i.      _Appeals and Redress_:  In cases of any
> significant or irreversible decision (redelegations, for example),
> there should be an appeals process that includes [binding] redress
> open to the affected parties and this should be open to public scrutiny.
>
> I think it is important to clarify that the appeals process does not
> simply lead to a recommendation or report that is then taken into
> account, yet is not binding.  Appeals should have real relief if they
> are to be successful.  While it may seem obvious that an appear leads
> to redress, not everyone may see this the same way.
>

> Indeed, the definition of redress is to set right what is wrong or
> relief from wrong, whereas the definition of appeal is a request or
> reference to some person or authority for a decision; a petition.  As
> a result, “appeal” alone has the possibility of being misinterpreted
> or more malleable.  And as several current accountability mechanisms
> within ICANN do not have redress attached to them (rather, they are
> purely recommendations (Reconsideration) or reports on fairness for
> consideration (Ombudsman)), I think we should be clear that this
> appeals process is meant to include the redress.
>

> Stacey

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html