[CWG-Stewardship] Concern with Contract Co.

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 06:05:56 UTC 2014

Olivier,

It is certainly my recollection that there were some discussions that
involved alternatives to creating a corporation (whether another type of
legal entity, such as a trust, or a group that had no legal status, such as
a committee).  It was even suggested that an existing organization, such as
the IETF (not a legal entity, actually) or ISOC or the IETF Trust (which
exists to hold and license IPR), could be used to contract with the IANA
Functions Provider.  I think these tended to fall away and did not find
traction as we moved along, especially as the use of a contract came to the
fore, which required an entity capable of contracting.

Also, I think that Guru's summary in this thread of how the process went
along is pretty much on target, at least as far as the big picture goes,
and I applaud him for following (and participating in) this process with
such diligence and perceptiveness.

Greg

P.S.  I was once told, when I had trouble making up mind about something,
that I should not want my epitaph to be "He Kept His Options Open."  I
think that applies here as well.