[CWG-Stewardship] Concern with Contract Co.

Mary Uduma mnuduma at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 12:50:36 UTC 2014

All,First, I want to appreciate the hard and excellent job done so far by the CWG. The proposal and processes laid out are so very good.  However, I wish to raise one or two issues.
I wish to support most of the concerns expressed by Alan Greenberg and his thoughtful suggestions.
Specifically:Contract Co:  the jurisdictional questions as had been raised in this thread makes it less attractive as the way to go.
Question: Is this a multi-stakeholder entity?
General acceptability by the internet community may be difficult to sell considering the heightened awareness in most governments ( ie ccTLDs) regarding the IANA relationship and the position of NTIA in representing governments in the functions.I believe a less legal formal entity operating a bottom up process would  not only meet the NTIA requirements but also give the internet community the opportunity to be part of the MoU agreement with IANA functions Operator.Question:Who is the ultimate supervisor (Regulator) of this entity? - US government?

Alteration of ICANN Bylaws
It would be worth the while exploring further Allan's suggestions. I wish to suggest a small addition of reducing the ICANN Board membership tenor to one term of 2years only, instead of current 9years and counting that members seat on the Board. One may argue on continuity, however since policies would be made at the ACs, SOs and also national levels by ccTLDs the Board would implement such policies.  This is somehow close to what IETF does with IANA functions operator.
To me, the current proposal seems over blotted. Let the contract be replaced by MoU between the IANA operator and the affected and interested persons of the services rendered by IANA.

Let the mechanism  be multi-stakeholder in approach and form.  Rotate membership of Board on 2-yrly basis.  Let there be an independent evaluator for IANA core functions and report submitted to the PRT (Steering Committee on IANA Function) as proposed, including ICANN itself.My second point is on the CSC. I think this should be just a subcommittee of PRT. Participants
of CSC  should not be only those that can pay for themselves. Again full automation of IANA functions would surely reduce the burden of this committee.

Mary Uduma