[CWG-Stewardship] My concerns with the draft proposal and an alternative option

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Sun Nov 30 19:51:42 UTC 2014

Hi all,

If we are to defer, what are we waiting for?  Another proposal will be ready by when?  And whatever the proposal origins, it will come without any benefit of any wider discussion.

Certainly in Frankfurt the discussion focussed fairly quickly on a functions-based solution (as opposed to the form-led ideas of the straw-men.  There was general consensus with that, recognising that we would spend a lot of time on discussing models without any realistic expectation of consensus.  OK, there was a degree of nervousness and everyone giving a bit. But no one really had an alternative that offered a reasonable basis for consensus.

I recognise that the current draft is loaded with a lot of stuff that still needs to be resolved.  (Thank you Olivier, for your analysis:  a useful checklist for us as we move forward.  Alan's points of concern, reiterated on last week's call, likewise.)  But frankly I've not heard anything that is not also likely to apply to other proposals.  We can delay further, but I feel we will simply be delaying, and we haven't got the luxury of time.

Phil Corwin's comment on how the names piece will fit in with the other elements is quite valid and as a member of the ICG I recognise that we might have a really difficulty of reconciling the different strands.  However, however long the CWG assesses how it might assure the best fit, until we see all the proposals and start the cross-community discussion, we are not going to get anywhere nearer to the solution.

Given time, I'm sure we could develop a beautiful, well-reasoned and complete solution.  Whether we would have more consensus than we have at the moment, I'd doubt.  Would we be anywhere nearer finding a three-function solution?  Ditto.  The excellent is the enemy of the good.

As for the link to ICANN accountability:  with what we've got from Frankfurt, I think we have a reasonable idea of what we need from stream 1.  We cannot tell stream 1 what answer we want, but we can tell it what issue(s) we need them to consider.  Again, if we seek to engineer the whole piece, we risk simply missing the deadline and trespassing on the responsibilities of others.

Best

Martin