[CWG-Stewardship] Concern with Contract Co.

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Sun Nov 30 21:33:20 UTC 2014

Greg

Thanks for this - and my questions back to you interspersed
On 1 Dec 2014, at 7:27 am, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Holly,
>
> My comments inline.
>
> Greg
>
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Holly Raiche <h.raiche at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Greg and Olivier
>
> What has not been explained is the perceived need to have some kind of Contract Co.   My understanding is that the NTIA is looking towards handing its responsibilities for oversight of the IANA functions - now performed under contract (AoC) [GS - No, not the AoC -- the IANA Contract] with ICANN - to ICANN.
You’re absolutely correct - sorry

> GS:  I think this is a very fundamental misunderstanding.  The NTIA is not looking to hamd its responsibilities to ICANN.  It is looking to hand these over to the "global multistakeholder community."  Here is what it says in the NTIA's initial press release:
>
> [t]he U.S. Commerce Department’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) today announces its intent to transition key Internet domain name functions to the global multistakeholder community.  As the first step, NTIA is asking the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to convene global stakeholders to develop a proposal to transition the current role played by NTIA in the coordination of the Internet’s domain name system (DNS).
> NTIA’s responsibility includes the procedural role of administering changes to the authoritative root zone file – the database containing the lists of names and addresses of all top-level domains – as well as serving as the historic steward of the DNS.  NTIA currently contracts with ICANN to carry out the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) functions and has a Cooperative Agreement with Verisign under which it performs related root zone management functions.  Transitioning NTIA out of its role marks the final phase of the privatization of the DNS as outlined by the U.S. Government in 1997.
>
> Honestly, this is not (and cannot be) about transitioning the NTIA's role to ICANN.  I think you will find this reinforced in the ICG's charter and RFP and our group's charter as well.  )

One way of looking at the statement is that ICANN already encompasses those stakeholders globally that are involved in the functions of IANA.  I think we all have looked at the IANA functions being ‘handed over’ as including the numbering, the protocols and the names.  Logically, the numbering function is best handed over to the structure now in place that already handles this function well - the ASO/RIRs.  My view has been that, as long as there is increased accountability through mechanisms such as regular and public reporting to the community, plus a mechanism if the functions are not being carried out well, the existing structure is fine.  Similarly, the IETF does work for protocols.  Granted they want no change, whereas others would like more transparency and accountability in the protocols area - which could be worked through.  That leaves names - which is what this set of issues is about. And I think there is at least consensus that the names functions performed by ICANN can have a good hard look, more accountability, and a mechanism of some sort if the community - made up of all the stakeholders - does not agree with directions threatened.

> Thus, the reason for a contract (and contracting entity of some kind) was that there are two legal organisations - NTIA and ICANN - with a legal agreement between then on which legal organisation performs what functions.  If NTIA’s functions are handed over to ICANN, why is there need of another legal organisation?  ICANN can simply assume the oversight functions,
>
> GS: ICANN overseeing itself as a replacement for external oversight and accountability is a non-starter for many stakeholder communities.
As it now exists, I think there is general agreement that real and deep reform at the least is necessary.

> Plus, it seems unworkable to me.  I am keen to see increased accountability built into ICANN; while that is "interrelated and interdependent" with the transition of the NTIA's role, it gets beyond our scope (and into the Accountability CWG) when it gets beyond oversight and accountability relating to IANA activities.  Focusing solely on broad ICANN accountability does little or nothing to replace the NTIA's role in regards to IANA.
I’m now thinking of the three types of functions of IANA - are you suggesting that a proposed Contract Co would have oversight of the numbering, protocols and naming functions?  I don’t think the numbering and protocols stakeholders think that is necessary
> .
> and make whatever changes are necessary within its structure - including establishment of an entity within it (it already has entities such as SSAC, GNSO ec) with a specific set of oversight functions.  And, as Alan suggested, changes could include a good look at By-laws so that there is increased accountability to the community of stakeholders that have very clear and strong interests in a well functioning and responsible ICANN, including its oversight of IANA’s functions.  And again, to repeat Alan’s questions, if a new corporate organisation is created, to whom is it accountable, through what mechanisms, and who funds it? (why should ICANN fund a corporate organisation external to itself?)
>
> I still think we should have a good look at the tests that Bertrand sent to the list - and test whether a new structure can deal with those stress tests.  Indeed a question whether a new Contract Co could deal with the stress tests better than a reformed ICANN is an open one.  Yes, agreed that the pure trust law model doesn’t work. But  I do want to understand why a separate legal organisation is necessary when questions of its funding, structure, accountability to all stakeholders haven’t been solved.
>
> GS:  A separate legal organization is necessray to enter into contract with ICANN.  Testing and refining this proposal should be part of the process (indeed, it is mandated in Section 4 of the RFP), and the process should be iterative.  The fact that this proposal hasn't been fully battle tested is no reason to disqualify it -- if that were the case, we would never have a proposal -- the testing is part of the process to get to the proposal.

I think you are back to my basic question and the assumption that the transition cannot be about ICANN oversight of IANA functions.  But ICANN does so now.  Yes, under contract.  What the contract does in the eyes of many stakeholders is provide a mechanism of last resort if anything goes wrong - i.e., some kind of safety net.  So what is really being sought is a replacement structure  that can be a safety net.  The answer you are postulating is a separate legal organisation - funded by whom, with what powers - given by whom - to do what. I think you are also assuming that the NTIA would then cancel its contract (in relation to names only - or names, protocols and numbers) with ICANN and contract with Contract Co?

Holly