[CWG-Stewardship] IANA Stewardship CWG Process Steps Proposal

manning bill bmanning at isi.edu
Mon Oct 6 17:35:35 UTC 2014

the presumptive, that the RSOs would just “go along”, should be clarified.  I, for one, would really like to have a
structured agreement in place with the entities that consume the data that I publish.

/bill
PO Box 12317
Marina del Rey, CA 90295
310.322.8102

On 6October2014Monday, at 8:22, Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org> wrote:

> Bill,
>

>> On Oct 6, 2014, at 10:55 AM, manning bill <bmanning at isi.edu> wrote:
>>
>> [snipped]
>
>> For decades, the RSOs have publicly stated they just publish the root zone
>> as provided by the IANA.   This promise was made based on the presumption that Jon Postel and then NTIA/ICANN would -only- make changes that were
>> for the good of the DNS and the consumers of the DNS data.
>
> The question is defining the criteria , the core-values, of what changes are “for the good of the DNS and the consumers of the data” and who oversees that now and how it will occur in a post NTIA world. That’s part of our task to propose...
>
>> It may be perfectly reasonable to presume this will continue going forward, but it might be the right time/place to consider the potential of creating a formal
>> structure between all the groups supporting various attributes of the functional, global DNS instead of using ICANN as the third party intermediary.
>
> That’s one possible option of course. Having ICANN spin off certain functions and/or roles over time is another. No doubt other ways forward also are worth exploring..
>

> robert
>

>> On 6October2014Monday, at 7:21, Gomes, Chuck <cgomes at verisign.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As promised on our first IANA Stewardship CWG call today, attached and pasted below is a proposal to get us started in developing a work plan.  Note that it is intentionally brief;  we can fill in details later.  I encourage free and open discussion of this between now and our meeting in L.A.
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>>

>>> IANA Stewardship CWG Process Steps Proposal
>>>
>>> For the CWG, I think a process something like the following would be a reasonable and effective way to go:
>>> 1.       Describe all the steps in the current IANA processes for names.
>>> 2.       Identify the places in those steps where the US government (through NTIA and/or any other government agency) participates.
>>> 3.       Identify elements of the U.S. Government’s role that need to be replaced.
>>> 4.       Brainstorm ideas about possible multi-stakeholder (not multi-lateral) process replacements for the U.S. Government’s role.
>>> 5.       Develop consensus positions on a revised process.
>>> 6.       Identify process points where accountability checks are needed.
>>> 7.       Brainstorm accountability check ideas.
>>> 8.       Develop consensus positions on accountability checks.
>>> 9.       Brainstorm ideas on how to connect the assurance of general ICANN accountability before the IANA transition happens.
>>> 10.   Develop consensus positions regarding 9.