[CWG-Stewardship] Community input listserv

Don Hollander gm at aptld.org
Sat Oct 18 16:34:57 UTC 2014

Chuck:

Don Hollander here, from APTLD.  Let me respond to a couple of points you’ve made in recent posts:

1) With regard to outreach, the four regional organisations (ROs) of ccTLD managers (AFTLD, APTLD, CENTR & LACTLD) are each taking steps to reach out to their members and non-members.  We are taking a variety of approaches, but they include: Sending e-mails, sending physical letters in the post, and making phone calls).  The ccNSO has already established a global list of ccTLD managers and has used that.  Our goal is to make sure that everyone is aware of the event and has an opportunity to participate if they want.

2) With regard to engagement within our communities - APTLD had an extensive discussion during its recent meeting in Brisbane; CENTR did a similar discussion at their recent meeting in Brussels, AFTLD organised a Webinar, and LACTLD will address it in their upcoming meeting in Aruba.

3) The four ROs are also running a survey on the topic among our members and making it available to non-member ccTLDs.  We know (or should know) that there are fundamental differences between ccTLDs and gTLDs, but if the gTLD community would like to use our survey as a base it may allow inter-community analysis.  (We unashamedly took some ideas for our survey from ARIN (with their permission)).

4) Earlier you indicated that members (as opposed to participants) of the CWG-IANA should keep their own constituencies up-to-date on activities and discussions of the CWG.  I would suggest that, at least for the names communities, the Members prepare a weekly report to their constituencies.  If it’s structured as a shared activity, the cc’s and g’s members will only have to do a report once a month - and given the timeline that doesn’t seem onerous.

I hope that all members and participants of this CWG are aware of the very clear differences between ccTLDs and gTLDs.

With kindest regards to you all…

Don

Don Hollander
General Manager