[CWG-Stewardship] [IANA-issues] CWG RFP 2C - Draft Triage of IANA Functions Contract

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Oct 26 15:31:53 UTC 2014

Alan,
Thanks for your work on this.

While the current IANA contract is an extremely useful guidepost to the transition, I have always been concerned that using it as a starting point for discussion creates a bit of a "tail wagging the dog" phenomenon.

We need to figure out what kind of accountability and operational arrangements we want _first_, and then design a contract that reflects them. What seems to be happening here is that we are letting the existing contract define what we want, and then adjusting our proposal to that.

I know that was not your intention, but the bias is revealed in a number of ways. One simple example is that the current contract was designed to keep protocols, names and numbers under ICANN, whereas that is not necessarily an outcome we need to retain. Thus, anything that it out of scope of this CWG should not be marked "Retain." Out of scope means out of scope, we don't discuss it.

With that as a preamble, here are some more specific comments:

C.1.2 Why on earth would we want to retain C.1.2, which describes all the preceding USG contracts?
That is highly relevant legally if the US Commerce Dept. NTIA is the principal, but completely irrelevant going forward.

C.1.3 remember that we are only developing the proposal for the names part.

C.2.1. Your description of the section fails to mention that this is the site where the contractor is required to be wholly US owned, located in US jurisdiction, etc. Think that needs modification?

C.2.4. Assumes that all of the IANA functions are in the same entity. This assumption is not warranted at the present time.

C.2.9.4  You propose to retain this but why would we want the IANA to continue operating the .int domain? This is obviously a historical artifact and is completely unrelated to the core IANA functions related to DNS. It brings IANA into operations and registry policy and thus dilutes appropriate separations and possibly even corrupts its functions. .INT should go somewhere else.

C.2.12 is micromanagement and assumes that ICANN is the contractor, yet you have proposed no modification. This provision would have to be extensively modified.

C.4 could be superseded by an SLA

C.6 the Conflict of Interest provisions of this were added in response to certain events pertaining to he ICANN board, and again the relevance of this might be minimized by a truly independent contracting process.

I reiterate again the danger of hanging too much of our process on this methodology. We need to decide what kind of arrangements we want first, and design the contract around those requirements - not the other way around.