[CWG-Stewardship] [IANA-issues] Fwd: Names Community vs the other two communities

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Oct 29 19:45:20 UTC 2014

Dear Milton,

thanks for your kind reply. I have replied separately to Becky but I'll
also reply here.

On 29/10/2014 19:00, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> What I suspect is happening is that both of you are confusing policy
> development functions of ICANN with the operational and technical
> functions of IANA, and applying inappropriate mental models drawn from
> the former to the latter. In policy development we want “openness,
> diversity, inclusiveness and the user perspective.”  In the DNS IANA
> functions the users are the registries, it’s an intermediate good,
> it’s all about implementation, so we want efficiency, security and
> direct accountability to the primary users, not some playground for
> different stakeholders to voice their opinions.

I am not confusing policy development with operational & technical
functions of IANA.
All I am saying is that end users should be afforded space on the
Council or Body, if representative(s) from the GAC are to be also
considered. I fail to understand the apparent uproar that this
suggestion is generating.

Kind regards,

Olivier