[CWG-Stewardship] FW: Responding to Olivier

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 30 10:33:43 UTC 2014

I am neither Olivier nor a +1, but I'll try.

First, the process IS politicized. All you are
doing is ensuring that only one faction has a
voice. Yes, as in political systems, that
"simplifies things" but does not necessarily make
it better. This entire discussion reminds me of
the statement attributed to the then CEO of
General Motors - "What is good for General Motors
is good for the Country (ie the USA)", a
statement to which can rationalize all sorts of
corporate misbehaviour seen in later year. In
this case, "What is good for Registries is good
for the Internet".  It will certainly be true
much of the time, but I think it presumptuous to
assume that this will be the case in all future
instances. There may well be cases that in the
future, that there is a policy that is decided
governing how IANA is to operate that does not
meet with the complete satisfaction of
registries. That is the nature of a multistakeholder policy process.

Second, if the policies, contracts, agreements,
etc are clear, there should not be a lot of
judgement call involved in this overseeing. And
when there is, it indicates a problem that needs
to be rectified at the policy/contractual level.

Alan