[CWG-Stewardship] FW: Responding to Olivier

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Thu Oct 30 12:04:31 UTC 2014

Agree with Chuck that Allan's second point is key.  It is not at the
level of the IANA functions that policy issues will be resolved.  If the
policies are developed through agreed bottom-up transparent processes
and are appropriately followed there should be very little need for
oversight of the IANA functions.  (I think we all agree that it is
largely neutral and clerical - but important - function.)  The
"oversight" or accountability ensuring mechanisms must be with the
policy making entities, in other words ICANN.  We should be wary of
overloading the IANA functions with "oversight" - if it is unnecessary
it could be burdensome indeed detrimental to the performance of the
function itself.

Matthew

On 10/30/2014 11:52 AM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I think your last sentence is the key point.  Policy differences
> should be 'rectified at the policy/contractual level'. That is a
> different level in the processes for gTLDs and ccTLDs than when the
> IANA functions operator is actually performing its services.  I can't
> speak for Milton, but I think he is focusing on the very specific
> tasks that the IANA functions operator does after the policy
> differences have been resolved.  One of the IANA functions enumerated
> in the IANA functions contract is "verifying that ICANN followed its
> own policy framework including specific documentation demonstrating
> how the process provided the opportunity for input from relevant
> stakeholders and was supportive of the global public interest".
>
> I believe that this will be easier to discuss after the subgroup
> finishes its work on RFP Section 2A, which I hope will be before the
> next meeting.
>
> Chuck

Matthew Shears
Director - Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT)
mshears at cdt.org
+ 44 771 247 2987