[CWG-Stewardship] Remember to send questions and comments to legal advice from Sidley Austin

Paul M Kane - CWG paul.kane-cwg at icb.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 21:58:30 UTC 2015

Thanks Lise

I appreciate the opinion given by Sidley with respect to the functional
separation and I see that it may not deliver the required safeguards.

Yes we want better functional separation, a dedicated budget and improvements to
the reporting given to the community .... yes we all want ICANN's current IANA
staff to deliver service but things change, especially when people/performance
change..... hence.....

I would like to specifically ask Sidley to give formal advise on how best to
ensure an affiliate company (as part of ICANN Community) can be the custodian
for the Stewardship role currently undertaken by NTIA.

Specifically, a limited scope multi-stakeholder company with a CSC style body
that in the event of ICANN's IANA staff being unable to perform to the
prescribed SLE, or ICANN corporate deciding that they no longer wish to deliver
the IANA service that triggers the affiliated company to:
•	publish an objective service orientated RFP;
•	invite interested parties to deliver IANA service(s) and respond to the RFP;
•	to select and contract with the operator best able to serve IANA’s customers.

Unfortunately my day job has caused me to undertake the next 10 days of travel,
so I will be on the call(s) as and when possible. Please accept my apologies for
any calls missed... and hope someone will be kind enough to express the views I
have already conveyed.

Kind regards to all

Best

Paul