[CWG-Stewardship] Initial Discussion Draft on Transition Models

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Apr 7 23:38:10 UTC 2015

Let me reiterate an important detail that many seem to be overlooking.

The RIRs CRISP team proposed the following:

“The Internet Number Community proposes that a new contract be established between the IANA Numbering Services Operator and the five RIRs. The following is a proposal to replace the current NTIA IANA agreement with a new contract that more directly reflects and enforces the IANA Numbering Services Operator’s accountability to the Internet Number Community…. It is expected that the RIRs, as the contractual party of this agreement, will draft the specific language of this agreement.”

New. Contract. Therefore it would not be difficult at all for the RIRs to develop this new contract in a way that named PTI, rather than ICANN Inc., as the contractor. Since the proposed PTI is the same unit as the current ICANN IANA department, and they are happy with that service, I see no reason why the RIRs would have a problem with this.

--MM

1. ICANN retains the contracts with the RIRs and IETF, with a minor amendment allowing ICANN to offer the service, but have the service fulfilled by its wholly-controlled affiliate (or wholly-owned subsidiary) PTI.
2. ICANN enters into an "assignment and assumption" agreement whereby PTI takes over ICANN's position in the agreements.
3, ICANN and the RIRs/IETF terminate the current agreements, and PTI enters into new agreements with the RIRs and IETF.

The first option fits the principle of "change as little as possible (and explain any change you make".
The second option fits the principle of "make PTI as easily separable from ICANN as possible."
The third option fits the principle of "let's make everything messy and complicated."

​Greg​