[CWG-Stewardship] Initial Discussion Draft on Transition Models

Lindeberg, Elise elise.lindeberg at Nkom.no
Thu Apr 9 12:41:15 UTC 2015

Greg

Some brief comments on the SIDLEY paper.

In regards of roles of CSC  and MRT/”members group”

I think it is crucial to have a very clear understanding and description of  what we define as escalation, and that this is not only used as a term relating to the role of the CSC. In our CWG discussions Escalation has been referring to the Multistakeholder component of the oversight function, - what used to be called the MRT. In the current structure the MRT function has been merged with the work of the CCWG - referred to as «members group” with legal personhood. It might look like necessary detailing, but I think we should keep the wording clear and underline that the escalation happens when it is sent over to MRT/”members group”/Multi-Stakeholder community Organisation.

H. Fundamental bylaws

What will these be?- While this is primarily an issue for CCWG, considerations should be given by CWG to whether there are any bylaws matters upon the model is conditioned.

YES, - any model based on sort of “golden bylaw” arrangements as the last sort of action towards IANA function operator (PRI) must be based on the CWG giving clear conditions on bylaws and how they should work in regards of decisions in the ICANN community and inside the ICANN company. We can`t push this bylaws arrangements to be solved by the CCWG  - even if the link between the CWG and the CCWG is strong, and the communications between the chairs are very good, we are working in parallel and aim to finish at the same time, - so CCWG haven’t got the time or detailed knowledge to design specific bylaws that will fit a new company structure for the IANA function and the oversight/stewardship of IANA.

Regarding the question from Andrew Sullivan

III.C talks about CSC.  In the case of a full legal separation with
independent governance, would the CSC be needed at all?  Presumably
the arrangements between PRI and their customers would be a
contractual one, and as such the management of such contractual
disputes ought to be via those contracts, and not through an extra
body.  Or is the point that the way such a contractual arrangement
would solve such disputes ought to be along the lines of the CSC ?

Do you mean PTI ? It’s fundamental from a governmental perspective (and also for the ccTLDs I think..) that we don’t create a model with requirements for establishing a contractual relationship between the IANA functions operator (PTI) and the ccTLDs. This is an absolute no go.