[CWG-Stewardship] DT-O link for notes, recordings and transcript for 9 April call

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Thu Apr 9 18:37:44 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the DT-O Meeting on 09 April are available here:
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52896253
<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52896253%20>

Notes and Action Items

Action (Xavier -- by mid next week): Do a reconciliation of heads to FTE, identifying separately the
IANA department's headcount vs the other contributing personnel, and add it to the analysis for
clarity.

Question from Olivier (copied from email): The costs that Xavier has provided us are current costs
estimated by a method clearly laid out in the table -- and they are very helpful to show how many
"hidden costs" there are. However, in your estimation, Xavier, if the IANA Function was to be
standalone in a separate entity, how much premium would that command on costs? In other words,
current costs benefit from economies of scale. Would you be able to estimate what this economy of
scale is? 1%? 2%? 5%? 10%? I am plain guessing....

Discussion and response:

If and when we get to a point where we need to get costs for a standalone entity, then we could work
with Xavier to look into the parameters of such an assessment

Shared costs would be where the economies of scale are.

The less easily visible costs are the ones pertaining to communications and governance. For example,
financial audit is done for the whole organization, not separate for IANA. So, there are costs that
do not exist today, but could be created as a result of a separate entity for IANA.

Action (staff): pull transcript for Xavier's responses and provide for the CWG.

Are there any discounts or amortization for website/ IT services?

Action (Xavier) by end of day Monday PST -- Give Xavier another opportunity to review his documents
before sending to the CWG. He'll respond with documents by early next week. Add clarification on
depreciation.

Action (Grace): Edit and send the document. When sending to CWG, note that Xavier will provide
budget documents by end of day PST on Monday.

---> Edit: Write "IANA operations costs" instead of  "IANA costs" in the document.