[CWG-Stewardship] Remember to send questions and comments to legal advice from Sidley Austin

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 19:04:37 UTC 2015

All:

If you pass the stewardship to the PTI, then the model starts to looks like
one of the models that was discarded in Istanbul. That model was the one
where the three entities, i.e. ICANN, RIRs and IETF, would have direct
contracts with and "independent" PTI. This model was discarded because of
its complexity (in the legal context).

-ed

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I second what Milton is saying.  I think Paul is proposing essentially an
> inversion of the Sidley Austin model (and by extension the "Integrated
> Hybrid Model" or the "Internal Model with Structural Separation").  As I
> read Paul's suggestion, instead of having the affiliate be the
> "Post-Transition IANA" (i.e., the IANA Functions operations "in a box"),
> the affiliate would be the "Post-Transition Oversight/Accountability
> Mechanism" ("PTOAM"?).  Presumably, this would keep the IANA Functions
> operations inside of ICANN as a (functionally separated) unit.  The PTOAM
> would then be much like Contract Co. (although [possibly] "affiliated" with
> ICANN rather than completely independent).
>
> Greg
>
> *Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*
>
> *Partner* *| IP | Technology | Media | Internet*
>
> *666 Third Avenue | New York, NY 10017-5621*
>
> *Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022
>
> *Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428
>
> *gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*
>
> *ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>*
>
> *www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

*NOTICE:* This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by
mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.