[CWG-Stewardship] Question for Sidley

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Apr 9 22:57:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 10:52:00PM +0000, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Once a fire breaks out, you can’t add those features to your building; it’s too late. They have to be part of the architecture.

I'll see your analogy, and raise you one: it is possible to build a
fire-code-conforming multi-tenant building.  Indeed, you can build
quite good ones that have both commercial and residential space in
them.

And you can do this in a building where there are already occupants of
various kinds.  Of course, that takes longer, because of the
disruption to the residents.  It still might take less time and be
less wasteful than building two new buildings and then moving everyone
from the old bulding to the new ones.  That is a question of
trade-offs and how rickety the existing structure is.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com