[CWG-Stewardship] Remember to send questions and comments to legal advice from Sidley Austin

Paul M Kane - CWG paul.kane-cwg at icb.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 16:07:07 UTC 2015

Yes Greg.

We are designing a process for transitioning the Stewardship of IANA from NTIA -
therefore we need to consider the Stewardship role. To suggest this is not to be
considered now is absurd.

I agree the external contract co does not work (based on Sidley's advise given
in Istanbul), but we need to have proper legal advise as how best to have a
(limited and defined scope) affiliated company, within the ICANN Community,
responsible for Stewardship.

Best

Paul
PS Sorry for the delay in replying - I am traveling and my day job is getting in
the way of rapid replies.

Quoting Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>:

> the affiliate would be the "Post-Transition Oversight/Accountability
> Mechanism" ("PTOAM"?).  Presumably, this would keep the IANA Functions
> operations inside of ICANN as a (functionally separated) unit.  The PTOAM
> would then be much like Contract Co. (although [possibly] "affiliated" with
> ICANN rather than completely independent).
>
> Greg
> *Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*
>
> *Partner* *| IP | Technology | Media | Internet*
>
> *666 Third Avenu>
e | New York, NY 10017-5621*