[CWG-Stewardship] ICANN fighting separabiity in the numbers space

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Apr 13 21:15:29 UTC 2015

Seun, et al,

There are details in the current presentation that were not included previously.  When I spoke at ICANN 53 and in other fora, I did indeed feel there wasn’t any significant issue.  There are always details to work out, of course, but my feeling at the time was there was sufficient alignment of goals and requirements for me to express optimism.

I am not at the ARIN meeting and I am only seeing the slides without hearing the presentation.  Let me suggest it is very premature to conclude there is some sort of unsolvable problem.  The persistent fact is the numbers community is getting the service it needs and ICANN is committed to continuing to provide it.

With respect to the claims that ICANN is “fighting” or that “separability” is a principle that has to be taken above all else, I think these are false statements.  Neither body lives in the “what if” world.  Trying to work out a perfect solution to a set of contingencies that are hard to specify, have not occurred and have no common points of reference — and, yes, I am saying that’s the nature of the debates on this list — is likely to be contentious and unbounded

Steve
.