[CWG-Stewardship] ICANN fighting separabiity in the numbers space

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Mon Apr 13 22:26:39 UTC 2015

Seun,

> Thanks for the update, its interesting that CRISP has not provided this update
> on its global list where they communicate with the RIR community OR perhaps
> you mean ICANN legal is presently at ARIN meeting where the discussion is
> happening?

No, ICANN legal is not at the ARIN meeting.

> I recall specifically asking ICANN board Chair about the proposal of the CRISP
> team during the public comment session in Singapore and his response was very
> positive (generally indicating they did not have any significant issue with
> it).

Right.  While this is not really in my bailiwick (I try to focus on the
technical side of things), that was my impression as well.

As I mentioned at the microphone, my understanding of Larry's speech at the
State of the Net was that the issue of whether or not there is separability
isn't all that germane to the question of acceptability of proposal, what
matters in this context is whether or not the accountability requirements
imposed by NTIA can be met with the resulting structures.  That is, if you
posit a world in which the RIRs can separate themselves from ICANN, how can
the RIRs/NRO guarantee the subsequent management of Internet Numbers
resources are accountable to the global stakeholder community and are not
subject to capture, not susceptible to
double-dealing/corruption/influence-peddling, etc.?

My impression is that NTIA is not setting a pre-condition that everything
must be associated with ICANN, rather they are setting a pre-condition that
the accountability mechanisms of whatever structure is proposed must be as
good or greater than the existing (or perhaps post-CCWG WG1 outcomes)
accountability mechanisms.

Regards,
-drc