[CWG-Stewardship] ICANN fighting separabiity in the numbers space

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Tue Apr 14 17:00:15 UTC 2015

Milton,

> As I mentioned at the microphone, my understanding of Larry's speech at the
> State of the Net was that the issue of whether or not there is separability
> isn't all that germane to the question of acceptability of proposal, what
> matters in this context is whether or not the accountability requirements
> imposed by NTIA can be met with the resulting structures.  That is, if you
> posit a world in which the RIRs can separate themselves from ICANN, how can
> the RIRs/NRO guarantee the subsequent management of Internet Numbers resources
> are accountable to the global stakeholder community and are not subject to
> capture, not susceptible to double-dealing/corruption/influence-peddling,
> etc.?
>

> MM: And as Mr. Woodcock replied to you, the numbers community (and I would say
> the names community too) knows what it needs and is capable of exercising the
> most basic, fundamental form of accountability -- the ability to change
> providers.

I've no doubt all the communities are well aware of their needs, but I
believe Larry was suggesting accountability in the other direction.  As Vint
Cerf pointed out at the microphone during the ARIN meeting, there are more
folks involved here than just those communities.  My interpretation of what
Larry said at the State of the Net, is that if a model that allows for
separation is chosen, how will the communities (e.g., the naming community,
the IETF, and the NRO) demonstrate accountability at least as strong as what
ICANN provides _to the global stakeholder community_ if that separation
occurs?

Regards,
-drc