[CWG-Stewardship] Several questions for DT-F

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Apr 17 02:01:05 UTC 2015

1.

Milton has asked (several times) WHY we want to ensure that the IANA
Functions Operator and Root Zone Maintainer must be separate
entities. The answers I have heard to date do not (in my mind, or
presumably Milton's) really explain why the two-party solution is
better. With the current architecture, most or all errors that
Verisign could catch would also be catchable in a single-party implementation.

Can anyone provide either a general answer or specific scenarios
where the two-party solution is better.

2.

1.c.1 Says that we need to consider increasing robustness WITHIN IANA
prior to the CWG proposal being submitted.

1.c.2 Says we need to consider robustness everywhere (including
within IANA) post transition.

I am not aware of the justification for 1.c.1 other than it was sort
of implied by the transfer of tasks from DT-D. But since NTIA did not
refuse authorizations and there are no known problems, it is not
clear that this is an urgent matter.

Moreover I find it highly unlikely that a proper job of this could be
done prior to transition if it occurs in 2015 or early 2016.

Do we want to keep it?

Alan