[CWG-Stewardship] Several questions for DT-F

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Apr 17 15:08:40 UTC 2015

Hmmm, I thought this conversation was taking place in DT-F. now I see it is here, too.
So this is what I wrote to DT-F on this topic:

Let me make it clear why I am insisting on a better articulation of the purpose of the separation [between IANA and the RZ Maintainer].
I actually support the idea intuitively, but feel that unless we clearly state the purpose of the separation we are not providing clear instructions on how to do it, and we could easily fail to achieve our goals.

As an example, there are people in the US who support the separation because they want a U.S. company under U.S. legal jurisdiction to have some control over what goes into the RZF, and to serve as a check should ICANN “escape” California.

There may also be people who support the separation (as Jordan partially does below) because they don’t think ICANN or a legally separated IANA affiliate would have the operational capability to run the primary RZ as reliably as Verisign.

In contrast, David Conrad has repeatedly suggested that the separation is a kind of two-factor authentication that can provide a means of preventing errors and abuses of power, both.

Others also see it as a check on concentration of power.

Those three rationales above point to completely different requirements for the type of separation we would ask for.

Let me focus on David’s rationale, as I think it is the one that has the most support.
If separation between RZM and IANA RZ editing is intended to provide two-factor authentication, then it implies a certain level of autonomy among the parties, does it not? RZM cannot be a passive recipient of IANA instructions that are automatically implemented – can they? Or is there some way to automate the exchange between IANA and VRSN that still allows some kind of additional error or security check or some way to filter out of policy abuses?

--MM