[CWG-Stewardship] [client com] Draft: Summary of Legal Structure for CWG Proposal

Paul M Kane - CWG paul.kane-cwg at icb.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 09:21:41 UTC 2015

Jonathan

Due to my work commitments I have not been able to read the documents - but hope
to do so in the coming days.  Well done to the whole team for putting such a
comprehensive document together.

Following our December consultation, I remember Larry Strickling asked four
questions - I assume these have been answered (or if not will be answered before
soliciting additional public comments).

The questions are below.

Best

Paul

Questions from
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestimony/2015/remarks-assistant-secretary-strickling-state-net-conference-1272015

    The draft proposes the creation of three or four new entities to be involved
in the naming related processes.  Could the creation of any new entity interfere
with the security and stability of the DNS during and after the transition?
Given that the community will need to develop, implement and test new structures
and processes prior to a final transition, can it get all this done in a
timeframe consistent with the expectations of all stakeholders?

    Does the proposal ensure a predictable and reliable process for customers of
root zone management services?  Under the current system, registry operators can
be confident of the timing of review and implementation of routine root zone
updates.  If a new committee takes up what is currently a routine procedural
check, how will the community protect against processing delays and the
potential for politicization of the system?

all the options and proposals being adequately considered in a manner that is
fair and transparent?

    How does the proposal avoid re-creating existing concerns in a new form or
creating new concerns?  If the concern is the accountability of the existing
system, does creating new committees and structures simply create a new set of
accountability questions?