[CWG-Stewardship] The PTI board

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Apr 20 15:08:39 UTC 2015

Regarding the composition of the board, the Summary of Legal Structure says only: "The PTI board could be an ICANN-designated board" and that we should "avoid the need to replicate the complexity of the multistakeholder ICANN board." I agree with the latter concern, but we will need to flesh out more detail regarding the composition of the PTI board.

I have missed most recent calls, so perhaps this has been discussed already, but if it has, it didn't appear in the Sidley Austin draft.

I think a simple and easily implementable solution would be to have ICANN-designated members be fixed by rules or bylaws (as opposed to wholly discretionary).
In my view, the PTI board should consist of the following 3 members:

1.       The existing IETF liaison on the ICANN board

2.       Someone designated by the ASO

3.       Someone designated by ICANN's board essentially representing the naming community. One could add to this a recommendation from the CSC if one wanted, I would be amenable to that.

This PTI board would be balanced across the 3 operational communities and thus would be in a good position to provide oversight for the IANA functions.

--MM