[CWG-Stewardship] The PTI board

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Apr 20 18:36:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

> If it were possible for me to disagree with this more, I would
> disagree with it that much too.

Lets see if i can inspire you further.

On 20-Apr-15 14:14, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> 2.  "Its budget": PTI does not need a multistakeholder process to
> establish.  It needs clear managerial oversight with respect to what
> IANA is going to need to do, and that will establish what the costs
> and expenditures are.  Moreover, since we know where the money is
> going to come from, that portion of the budget is already subject to
> multistakeholder observation.

Depends on what degree of Independence this has in terms of setting its
budget.
And are we sure that ICANN will always fund all for the services for
ever more?
If IANA wants to improve some aspect of its capitalized capabilities and
ICANN says no, is that the end of the story.

> 3.  "Degree to which it is responsive": Responsiveness is dealt with
> under the service level expectations for the various communities.
> This shouldn't be the job of the board, because it's the job of the
> CSC.

And after all of the ICANN escalation processes who is it  that is
responsible for decision on how to deal with it?
Is this all in the hands of the ICANN Board?

> 4.  "The way it deals with crises": I'd like to know what these
> looming crises are supposed to be before we vastly expand

vastly would be, at least > 10
adding two people is not vast in my opinion, though they do represent a
a vast number of stakeholders, that is true.

> representation on the board.  It seems to me that the greatest
> opportunity for crisis comes from PTI not sticking to its narrow
> function.  The surest way to cause that is to appoint board members
> who do not have an interest in the narrowest possible interpretation
> of PTI's mandate.

Optimist.

I believe you need someone assigned to deal with crisis before they happen.
It is called exception management  - but you don't wait for the first
exception before figuring out who is ultimately repsonsible.  Maybe this
is in the hands of the ICANN board as well?

I know that is not everyone's way.

avri

---