[CWG-Stewardship] The PTI board

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Mon Apr 20 18:48:36 UTC 2015

I’d see Milton’s approach as a good one – the PTI is an operational structure that has to take responsibility for delivering the quality of service and technical excellence required from the PTI:  essentially we need a management Board that can keep the IANA functions operation team focussed and resourced.

I could certainly go with one ccTLD and one gTLD rep as Brenden suggested – and why not chosen from ICANN Board members as they are going to be responsible on the Board for ensuring that the PTI has the resources necessary?  I also like his idea that the PTI’s executive director be on the Board – this seems to me to be quite usual practice.

While I have some sympathy for ensuring multi-stakeholder engagement, I think we actually need a Board that has the skills and expertise to ensure a successful operation.  The multi-stakeholder accountability should be from the ICANN Board as this is where resources (budget) come from.  It also comes in through the PRF and the general transparency that we should expect from the process.

We do not improve accountability by growing the Board or by stuffing it with people with little knowledge of the service they are managing.

Martin