[CWG-Stewardship] The PTI board

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Apr 21 13:30:39 UTC 2015

Thanks Greg.

Chuck

From: Greg Shatan [mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 9:24 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck
Cc: Matthew Shears; jrobinson at afilias.info; cwg-stewardship at icann.org
Subject: Re: [CWG-Stewardship] The PTI board

We can always get more clarity on this from counsel.  Here's a generic description of the duties of a California non-profit corporation from the website of another firm (Adler & Colvin).  The fourth bullet is most germane to the present discussion.

The following are the general duties and responsibilities of nonprofit directors in California. Many states have similar provisions, although the specific laws of nonprofit corporate governance will differ from state to state:
·         The Board of Directors, as a group, is ultimately responsible for overseeing the corporation's affairs. Individual directors as such have no authority over the corporation or its staff.
·         The Board may delegate its responsibilities to others (staff, professional advisors, officers), but it retains the obligation to supervise those persons. Directors may rely on reports from officers and employees, reliable outside experts, or Board committees, so long as the director has no reason to believe that reliance is unwarranted.
·         Directors must act in good faith, in what they believe to be in the corporation's best interests (the duty of loyalty), with such care, including reasonable inquiry, as an ordinarily prudent person in a like position would use under the circumstances (the duty of care).
·         Board functions generally include strategic planning; hiring, firing, reviewing and compensating (if applicable) the Executive Director; approving the annual budget and annual financial statements; overseeing investments; fundraising (if necessary); ensuring legal compliance (including tax-exempt status) in administration and program operations. Boards should avoid micromanagement.
·         Both California corporate law and Federal tax law permit transactions with insiders, but impose additional procedural protections to ensure the transaction is beneficial to the corporation. Those protective procedures include advance full disclosure of conflicts, reasonable investigation, findings of fairness, approval by disinterested directors, and proper documentation.
·         Boards are required to ensure that assets are spent for the charitable purposes for which they were received by the corporation (the charitable trust doctrine), in accordance with the Articles of Incorporation, the Bylaws, and the donor's intent. Deviation from these purposes may require court approval.
·         The Board must ensure that assets held for investment are invested prudently.
·         A director's breach of fiduciary duty that causes harm to the corporation will make the director personally liable to make the corporation whole. The Attorney General is responsible for enforcement.