[CWG-Stewardship] For your review - version V3.3

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Tue Apr 21 15:55:39 UTC 2015

I realize it may be too late for this comment but I’m sending it anyway just in case.

I think III.A.i.a and III.A are ambiguous as to whether the existing IANA staff, resources, processes, and data related to the non-naming functions (e.g., numbering and protocol parameters) (1) are expected to move to the PTI, (2) are not expected to move to the PTI, or (3) whether this decision is to be left up to ICANN. I don’t think footnote 5 covers this, because it is not obvious that personnel, resources, etc. count as “arrangements.” Furthermore, the decision of whether to move staff and resources to the PTI and the decision of whether to move an existing contract to the PTI are distinct. For example, the protocol parameters staff could move to the PTI but the IETF-ICANN MOU could remain as-is. So I think for the other communities to be able to comment on the CWG proposal effectively, III.A.i.a needs to make clear which of the three options above the CWG is suggesting.

This issue would be additionally clarified if the document referred to the “IANA naming functions operator” and “IANA naming functions” in all places where the text is describing an arrangement specific to the naming functions (which seems like it would be most places where “IANA functions” is currently used, at least in Section III).

Alissa