[CWG-Stewardship] III, A i d

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 19:35:22 UTC 2015

I'm not sure that works, Paul:  bearing in mind that (as we have seen for DT-B) very few registries ever respond and an even lower percentage of non-ccNSO members, I think the input has to be significant enough for the community in general to recognise that there is a problem.

Like you, I think it will be rare for a special review to be triggered.  I also think that the CSC should have the opportunity to say things are going bad and not being fixed.  The wider community - either sparked by complaints from registries or by the CSC - would need to see whether there was enough support from inside and outside the SOs to take this to the next level.

So I would feel happier with the consultation wording that was devised in the chat.  I can't remember exactly what that was now, but something like:  "While the IANA Function Review will normally be scheduled based on a regular 5 year cycle with other ICANN reviews, it may also be initiated following the CSC raising concerns with the GNSO and/or the ccNSO or by concerns raised by TLDs directly with the ccNSO or the GNSO.  The ccNSO and/or GNSO should consult with TLDs - both members and non-members and, in the light of the consultations, the Councils can decide by a supermajority to call for a special review."