[CWG-Stewardship] For your review - version V3.3

Steve Crocker steve.crocker at icann.org
Wed Apr 22 04:40:25 UTC 2015

On Apr 21, 2015, at 7:17 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Financial control is not the only kind of control.  One form of control that the protocol operational community has is that they define all of the directories held by IANA and can change those with protocol actions.  The transition does not change this.  Nor am I recommending we tackle this particular problem at the moment.  But I want to make sure it is flagged.
>
> One of the long term issue we have is that the IETF is also the one that controls the DNS protocols, DNSSEC, and any new protocl elements that may be created in the future.  The degree to which IANA adopts future protocols and protocols elements is a decsion that is somehwat orphaed at the moment.  Who makes those decisions.

Avri,

I too am confused by your comment.  The main job of IANA with respect to protocols is to publish the protocol parameters developed by the IETF.  They make no decisions about the protocols or their adoption.

In the particular area of the root, IANA functions as the single registrar for the root.  Evolutions in the technology for DNS can affect the IANA operation, and thus there’s a practical question of when the IANA operation implements whatever is necessary to support the changes.  The changes that I can recall are:

o  the addition of IPv6 records to the root for those servers that have IPv6 addresses, with the name servers for the root being a particular case that was dealt with separately,

o  the insertion of IDNs into the root zone, and

o the support DNSSEC including signing the root and acceptance of DS records from TLD operators and publishing them in the root.

If these are the sorts of things you’re referring to, I fully agree this is vital.  It is also vital that the decisions related to these changes be managed by people who understand the technical issues.  These are policy decisions in the sense that some value judgments are needed, but they are qualitatively different from the value judgments involved in, say, delegation or redelegation, and should not be lumped into the same basket.

Steve