[CWG-Stewardship] For your review - version V3.3

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Apr 22 14:55:08 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 01:50:22PM +0000, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
> Andrew's questions/suggestion seem very good to me.  With regard to the GNSO though, to date it hasn't really dealt with policy regarding the root.

I think what you mean is that the GNSO hasn't been involved in the
policies around technology to be used with the root zone, right?  That
is, I guess the GNSO was involved in the development of the Applicant
Guide Book for the new gTLDs, and that entire process was, assuredly,
about the policy for what went in the root.  But the decision around
(say) DNSSEC was different.

I confess I am made slightly nervous about some of this, because it's
pretty clear that a significant number of participants in the SOs and
ACs are not exactly proficient in details of technical operations.  In
my experience, such a lack of relevant experience never seems to
disqualify anyone from having an opinion about how the technology
should be operated, and I worry about that being a problem here.
Perhaps that suggests that ICANN will need to develop a technical
advisory track of some kind (or maybe the SSAC will become more
important).  I nevertheless think that the policy part needs to live
inside of ICANN, despite any misgivings I might have about how well
technical policy may be done at first.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com