[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [client com] IPR Memo

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Wed Aug 5 21:41:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

>In such a case, leaving the trademarks and domain name with ICANN does
>not achieve the goal of moving the assets, because ICANN can then hold
>the assets up in an attempt to foil the ability of the numbers
>community to terminate the agreement.

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused.

How exactly is this supposed to work again, particularly given as far as I
can tell, "the numbers community" use of IANA.ORG is limited to (a)
updating the delegations for the reverses for IPv4 and IPv6 blocks largely
via an automated system; and (b) perhaps occasionally looking at the
top-level IPv4, IPv6, and ASN registries (as far as I know, in a
non-operational way -- I'm unaware of any software or system that depends
on the contents of those registries)?

If we assume "the numbers community" has decided to extract themselves
from the use of the ICANN-operated IANA Numbering function, how exactly
would ICANN refusing to give up IANA.ORG (which is FAR more operationally
used by the IETF community and less so by the naming community) or the
IANA trademarks have any impact on "the numbers community" at all?
Presumably, they'd simply use the domain name supplied by the new operator
(or perhaps the new operator would use a domain name supplied by "the
numbers community").

What am I missing?

Thanks,
-drc
(ICANN CTO, but speaking only for myself)