[CWG-Stewardship] [client com] IPR Memo

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Aug 5 22:41:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 05:44:57PM -0400, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> If I were ICANN and about to hand over the TM, I would want to see something
> stronger than just "hold", but perhaps to lawyers that is sufficient to
> imply will police and defend.

I think in fact any real language is being worked on by the Trust's
lawyer and others.  I know we have put the client committee and Sidley
in touch with Jorge Contreras, the IETF's counsel.  The Trust's
resolution is just a good-faith statement on the part of the trustees
that they're prepared to do this, not an agreement.

Obviously, if something happens, actual legal agreements need to be
drafted.  This is at least as important to the IETF as to anyone else,
given that the Trust is possibly involved, so it will certainly be
undertaken carefully.

Best regards,

A (for myself and nobody else)

--