[CWG-Stewardship] [client com] IPR Memo

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Aug 6 11:10:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 01:35:58AM -0400, Greg Shatan wrote:
> it also seems to have the same problem of blurring the distinction between
> controlling uses of the mark and controlling quality of services provided
> by the ilcensee.

I take your point, but I think perhaps I'm not getting across how
completely entangled AMS's use of the mark is with the services that
everyone around the IETF (including every trustee) uses all the time.
Since the trustees are all trustees by virtue of being on the IAOC,
and since the IAOC happens to be responsible for such quality of
service, the problem you're worried about does not arise.  But there'd
be no way for anyone outside the IETF to know that, of course.

> think this list is the right place to develop these questions before they
> are asked of the Trust or its counsel, since this list (along with calls,
> meetings and documents) is where the CWG does its work.

Ok with me.  I just wanted to make sure that people understand I'm not
really competent to answer most of these questions.  I'm trying to be
helpful, because I have a tiny little view of all this by virtue of
being a trustee (since March).  But we shouldn't take my views to be
definitive.

> (the Names Community) have no oversight or control of the IETF Trust and
> there is no accountability by the IETF Trust to the names community.

This issue does seem to me to be something that the Sidley memo got
right.  It's oe of the reasons I always thought the IETF Trust could
be troublesome for these purposes.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com