[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [client com] IPR Memo

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Aug 10 16:17:13 UTC 2015

I have a strong preference that the TM and domain name remain with ICANN.

The CWG chose not to delve further in this matter
prior to issuing its final proposal. Regardless
of why that happened, that is a fact. When the
report was issued and the issue was raised as to
the meaning of the "placeholder" words in Annex
S, the reply included the words "Therefore it is
our firm view that it is specifically not in
conflict with either of the CRISP & IANAPLAN
proposals on this subject. To reaffirm this, and
to discuss a potential consolidated position, we
have extended an offer to the leadership of the
other two operational communities for a call on
Tuesday, 7 July." (Message from Jonathan
Robinson, 02 July 2015). That, I presume, was the
basis for the ICG issuing its consolidated proposal.

I do not recall what was reported out of that meeting, if indeed it happened.

Based on all of that, I still PREFER an option
where ICANN holds the assets. However, I can live
with them being transferred to the IETF Trust
with appropriate contractual language to give the
names community security that the assets will be
available for them regardless of the paths taken
to provide IANA service for the Numbers and Protocol communities.

Establishing an understanding with the IETF Trust
so that the details can be completed as part of
the implementation schedule is, in my mind, the number one priority.

Alan