[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [client com] IPR Memo

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Aug 10 19:06:57 UTC 2015

On 10-Aug-15 14:46, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> I really don't understand what we are looking to achieve with the new
> trust that IETF cannot ensure. Do you care to elaborate on why you
> think IETF is not sufficient as i havn't heard much of the whys and i
> believe you have more IETF history than myself so maybe there is more
> devil the details of IETF than i thought.

I have said it a few times. In various ways, but I guess not clearly.

The IETF Trust is excellent and full of trustworthy people.
I trust them completely to protect IETF interests.
Their  fiduciary responsibility is, in fact, to the IETF interests.
In a crisis that could be problematic for the Names interests.
   (I equate it to my mother having trusted my father's lawyer in their
divorce)
Names should not accept such a situation.

The lawyers have indicated that there is legal manipulation that could
be done to protect Names' interest.
Jari has indicated that they are looking at language. I assume it is
that kind of language.

So we can wait to see that language and get our lawyer's opinion on it.
Or we start working on separate language.
Or we go down both paths in parallel so as not to interfere with the
schedule.
I see no other alternative.

avri

---